23 Best Movie Lines of All-Time - An Update with a Twist

In 2005 the American Film Institute (AFI) released a list of the 100 Best Movie Lines of All-Time. You can see the full list here: http://www.afi.com/100years/quotes.aspx

In episode 4 of the Why Is That Podcast, I mentioned that the Gone With the Wind line, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn,” was ranked number 1 and in that episode I explained the origins of the phrase I don’t give a damn, see episode here:

As I worked on that episode I remembered all of my favorite movies and favorite movie quotes and I thought that since it has been 13 years since the AFI published that list it might be time for an update. Below I have gathered my personal 20 Best Movie Lines of All-Time. However, I did not just want to regurgitate the same old list you have seen a thousand times; so I made myself three rules so that this list would be an entirely original masterpiece. (Okay, masterpiece may be a bit of a hyperbole, but I believe it is a great list.)

Rule 1: The movie line cannot appear on the 2005 AFI 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes list.

Rule 2: The movie and the line must be an original movie. This means movies based on novels, comic books and Broadway performances are disqualified. (Sorry to the likes of Fight Club, V for Vendetta and Grease).

Rule 3: I have to have seen the movie. I consider myself a bit of a movie buff and I have seen a lot of movies in my day, but I have not seen all of them and I wanted to make sure if I was going to count a line as one of the best that I know the full context.

I also used the original selection criteria to select the lines. Here are the criteria as specified by the American Film Institute.

MOVIE QUOTE
A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film.* (Lyrics from songs are not eligible.)
CULTURAL IMPACT
Movie Quotes that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.
LEGACY
Movie Quotes that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.

These rules and criteria actually made it really difficult to select, but without further adieu, here are my 20 Best Movie Lines of All-Time. If you find any that I have missed be sure to comment below or tweet me @WhyIsThatPod

23. “I just slid my ticket across the table, and I said, “Sorry, guys; I gotta see about a girl.”

Description: Description: Image result for good will hunting

Good Will Hunting, 1996.

22. “Disturbing the peace? I got thrown out of a window! What’s the fuck!n’ charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?”

Description: Description: Image result for Axel Foley

Beverly hills Cop, 1984.

21. “You were in the window. You waved to me, ‘bye bye Rain Man, bye bye.’”

Description: Description: Image result for rainman

Rain Man, 1998.

20. “Ditto.”

Description: Description: Image result for ghost movie

Ghost, 1990.

19. “Don’tcha know that?”

Description: Description: Image result for marge gunderson

Fargo, 1996.

18. “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.”

Description: Description: Image result for eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004.

17. “Any fool with a dick can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children.”

Description: Description: Image result for furious styles

Boyz n the Hood, 1991.

16. “Hitler… there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!”

Description: Description: Image result for Franz Liebkind 1967

The Producers, 1967.

15. “I, have made fire.”

Description: Description: Image result for i, have made fire

Cast Away, 2000.

14. “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Description: Description: Image result for that's like your opinion man

The Big Lebowski, 1998.

13. “Boards don’t hit back.”

Description: Description: Related image

Enter the Dragon, 1973.

12. “Get away from her, you b!tch!”

Description: Description: Image result for ripley alien

Aliens, 1986.

11. “You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.”

Description: Description: Image result for inception eames and leo

Inception, 2010.

10. “James, earn this… earn it.”

Description: Description: Image result for saving private ryan

Saving Private Ryan, 1998.

9. “To infinity and beyond.”

Description: Description: Image result for toy story buzz flying

Toy Story, 1995.

8. “Oh, Captain. My, Captain.”

Description: Description: Image result for dead poets society

Dead Poets Society, 1989.

7. “Great Scott!”

Description: Description: Image result for doc brown

Back to the Future, 1985.

6. “I’ll… be… right… here.”

Description: Description: Image result for e.t.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, 1982.

5. “You’re gonna eat lightnin’ and you’re gonna crap thunder!”

Description: Description: Image result for mickey rocky

Rocky, 1976.

4. “Well, to tell you the truth, I lied a little.”

Description: Description: Image result for chinatown gittes

Chinatown, 1974.

3. “The way of life can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way.”

Description: Description: Image result for charlie chaplin great dictator speech

The Great Dictator, 1940.

2. “You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Description: Description: Image result for red pill blue pill

The Matrix, 1999.

1. “With the blast shield down I can’t even see. How am I supposed to fight?

Description: Description: Image result for with the blast shield down

Star Wars, 1977.

That does it for my list. Let me know what you think. After compiling this list I have to say that rule 2 was the hardest rule to adhere to. Our whole movie industry really owes a debt to adaptations. If you haven't listened to episode 4 of the Why Is That Podcast yet I would encourage you to do so to learn the fascinating history behind the phrase below. Find the episode below and be sure to subscribe to the show with your favorite podcast app.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 42 Favorite Ongoing History Podcasts (A 2019 Update)

My 42 Favorite Ongoing History Podcasts

Episode 2.5 - Blackjack and Playing Cards